Sunday, September 22, 2013

Podcasts

 

"Ears, I say, not the eyes "

   I love podcasts. I really do. In the world where eyes are the main medium of getting information (reading, watching TV), many of us are running the risk of exploiting the natural capabilities of our eyesight. I often feel tension and pain in my eyes and this often leads to feeling demotivated to read. This is a shame, since I find a great pleasure in reading.
   This inner conflict of mine has recently been resolved by the introduction of podcasts and audiobooks into my life. I started to listen to wonderful books and to lively discussions via podcasts. It only takes me a few minutes to download them and to to send the mp3 files to my mobile phone. The rest is magic. 
  Podcasts are liberating and empowering in the sense that they help you to shift the tension from the eyes to the ears, to use the multiple mediums that human body has for getting and processing information. Podcasts are my absolute heroes. They are with me in the public transport, while washing the dishes, taking the dust and even while walking out the dog. 
  Given the amazingness of podcasts, why not use them in education as well? While researching the topic ideas such as "student-created podcasts", "teaching skills like synthesizing via podcasts", "giving the students the ability to meaningfully participate in the world", "real audience" ,etc invaded into my mind. Are there any disadvantages of using podcasts in EFL? Apart from some possible ethical and copyright issues, which are clearly not podcast-specific, I see none. So why not? I am very optimistic in the potential of podcasts in EFL. One of our responsibilities as teachers is to empower our students with choices. Podcasts seem a very viable audio alternative to the heavily text-dominated way of getting knowledge in our world. 
So close your eyes and get your ears ready, they have relaxed far too much :)

2 comments: