Saturday, October 19, 2013

Video production in EFL

A step on a shaky field


  This week I have had a video production experience with my peers from the TEFL program. Our main goal was to get an experience in video shooting and editing with the purpose of evaluating the potential of video production in EFL.
  Creative projects are fun, engaging and sometimes inspiring. However,  all these often go hand in hand with a lot of time investment and , if technology is concerned, sometimes with a good deal of frustration. 
  The implications I got from my experience are still vague and non-conclusive.By itself, video production is a powerful tool but it's true application in  EFL environment is rather unclear to me. What would be the linguistic goals that would justify the massive investment of time,energy and creativity used in producing videos? This is the main question that I have. Right now there seems to be a lack of solid theory and research on this topic. The picture is still blurry. Any teacher using video production in EFL should be ready for an unsteady and uneven ground. The results, however, can potentially be rewarding.Now the next question is "Who will be(and already are) those pioneers ready to bring video production to EFL?". I suppose, as is the case with every innovation, the driving factors will mainly be passion and interest in the subject. We will see what comes.
   “Watch for the thing that will show itself to you. Because that thing, when you find it, will be your future.” 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sime for your ideas, they are interesting. Actually I had the same questions in my mind that you mentioned in your blog. I suppose that using video production in an EFL classroom is not such a good idea because it it time consuming and may cause some technological problems which can cause the students' demotivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Kristine:)
      You never know what future holds but at this point I agree with you.

      Delete